Our efforts have borne fruit…the BOS has advertised an increase to the property tax rate. Our next steps; organize contacts and pressure to have the measure adopted at the BOS meeting on March 26 and encourage and support school board members to fund a budget that provides for both students and the workforce.
Per-pupil funding support for public schools in Chesterfield has been reduced to critical levels that have put CCPS at 123 out of 132. Lack of funding has created class sizes that are among the largest in the state, reduction of instructional time and individual attention to students, a loss of electives, and fewer course offerings. Employee morale has declined and Chesterfield has lost its competitive edge to attract and retain quality employees and residents. Additional funding is required. The proposed increase to the property tax rate can help rebuild education in Chesterfield.
It’s time to get involved and encourage others as well.
2. Wear Red for Public Ed! Every Wednesday all who care about quality public education are asked to wear RED to school, your workplace and any functions or events.
3. Generate signatures on the petition. This petition has been crafted by the County Council of PTAs and we can help boost their efforts to bringing thousands of signatures to the BOS. http://bit.ly/bospetition Encourage everyone to share the link with all concerned citizens in Chesterfield County.
4. Organize attendance at upcoming meetings [wear red at all meetings].
5. Find parents, business leaders and others to share their story. How has decreasing funding impacted the classroom, their own children, or their ability to hire employees? http://bit.ly/CEABudgetStories
6. Connect to more information at http://bit.ly/Ceaonfacebook, www.chesterfieldea.blogspot.com, and http://www.veadailyreports.com/
25 SB 6:30 P.M. School Board of vote on adoption of budget
Wednesday, February 26 BOS 3:00 P.M. - 5:00 P.M. and 6:30 P.M. to adjournment
Monday, March 10, BOS 6:00 P.M. – 8:00 P.M. [budget work session]
Wednesday, March 12 BOS 3:00 P.M. - 5:00 P.M. and 6:30 P.M. to adjournment
Wednesday, March 26 SB 6:30 P.M. Public Hearing on budget